October 11, 2008

'Tis the Season

Fall is the perfect season for donuts, isn't it? When you wake up in the morning and feel that cool crispness in the air, is there any better way to start the day than with a freshly made donut and a hot cup of coffee? Sort of like the first time of the year that you dive into bed with your flannel sheets. Or that heavenly feeling at the end of a long day on the slopes when you finally pull off your ski boots.

There is a coffee shop in my neighborhood that sells homemade donuts (pictured) on Saturday mornings. I am not alone in thinking that these are hands-down the best donuts known to man. At a dollar a piece you might expect something special, and trust me when I tell you they're worth every penny. They are served with a fork due to their unusually large size. The light dusting of sugar that hits your tongue just as your teeth dive into the thick dough is enough to make you forget that sprinkles or chocolate frosting ever existed.

You may have noticed that I didn't write the name of the coffee shop. Did I tell you that the donuts are only on Saturdays? And that they sometimes sell out? In the interests of self-preservation, I cannot post the name of this establishment on the World Wide Web lest it be overwhelmed with patrons who wake up earlier than me and deprive me of my weekly pleasure: Do-Ho is no dodo. But in the interest of making the world a happier place, if you write to me nicely I will send you the location in an email--as long as you promise not to arrive before 9:30 am so that I can get my fix.

No comments: